EMV, contactless and swipe payments cost 2.65% with SumUp and 2.7% with PayPal Here. SumUp does not differentiate between US and non-US cards, nor does it charge extra for currency conversion – SumUp’s rate stays the same regardless of card brand or type.
What about PayPal? If you’re accepting a foreign card, a 1.5% cross-border fee will be added no matter what so the total rate becomes 4.2%. If currency conversion is involved, another 2.5% is added on top of the exchange rate, i.e. the total PayPal rate becomes 6.7%. That is quite a difference from SumUp’s fixed 2.65% rate.
Key-in card transactions cost 3.5% + 15¢ with PayPal, plus applicable cross-border and currency conversion fees. SumUp does not accept keyed-in card details in the app, but can for some merchants activate a virtual terminal or mobile payments for 2.95% + 15¢ per transaction.
Refunds are free to process through SumUp, but costs the original transaction fees with PayPal Here. Chargebacks incur an admin fee of $10 with SumUp and $20 through PayPal.
In both cases, standard payouts into your bank account are free, but PayPal does give the option to pay out money “instantly” for 1% of the transfer total.