Versatile mobile card reader with 24/7 phone support and phone payment option.
WorldPay Zinc is only available directly from WorldPay, not at resellers as of writing. The upfront cost for the WorldPay Zinc card reader is £39.99, only 1.95% in transaction fees, and a monthly fee of £10.
- Highs: No monthly fees or minimums, can be used anywhere, high security.
- Lows: Fees are at the high end. For low volume businesses, SumUp (review) has a lower flat rate of 1,69% with no monthly fee.
- Buy if: You value 24/7 phone support and ability to take payments by phone and mail (phone payments also consider Square).
You know the name: WorldPay is the biggest card payment company in the UK. In fact, it is the biggest payment processing company in Europe ahead of Barclays. Its mobile POS service is similar to that of competitors SumUp, iZettle and Payleven: buy the card reader, download the free app, no need for a merchant account, no minimum contract period, and easy online application.
Digging deeper: who should consider WorldPay Zinc?
- You want to take some payments over the telephone. WorldPay Zinc allows you to accept payments over the phone using the WorldPay online portal.
- You prefer telephone support over email and online FAQ. If you are the kind of person who likes to talk to someone if you have a problem, WorldPay Zinc is the only mobile card reader service with a 24/7 telephone helpline.
- You like the option of sending email invoices. World Pay Zinc offer the Pay by Link service, where you can email a payment link the customer can use to enter her or his credit card details and pay online. Great for deposits or for customers who cannot see you face to face.
- Your credit card sales total £2500 per month or less on average. For higher volume merchants, iZettle and Payleven will offer a better rate, but as long as the sales are over £1000 per month, we recommend their £5.99 per month package with a 1.95% fee. SumUp is cheaper with a flat rate of 1.95% and no monthly fee. So the question is: How much do you value their 24/7 telephone support and the option of taking payments by phone and by email? The extra £5.99 is still incredible value with the payment options that then becomes available.
For those who register for a call back through the link below, there is a flat 1.95% fee only the first three months, no monthly fee.
Get a call back to talk you through the 5 min registration.
WorldPay Zinc costs: reader and packages
Like its competitors, WorldPay Zinc is a Chip and PIN reader that connects to either your smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth. The mobile Chip and PIN reader is available for £39.99. Similar to its competitors, you have to download the free WorldPay Zinc free app in either the Apple Store or Google Play. Once your WorldPay Zinc account is up and ready you can take payments.
WorldPay Zinc offers two levels of service: pay as you go and pay monthly. The pay as you go service is similar to what PayPal Here is offering: a standard transaction fee of 2.75% with no other fees or costs.
The pay monthly service requires you to pay a monthly fee of £5.99 and then the transaction fee drops to 1.95%. This option compared to the ‘pay as you go’ option starts to save money if your monthly sales are over £748.75.
In terms of further comparison iZettle, for example, has a sliding fee structure that starts from 2.75% and drops to 1.5% depending on the level of your monthly sales. iZettle’s sliding fee hits the 1.95% if the level of your monthly sales reaches just over £4,800 and the lowest rate of 1.5% is available once your monthly sales reach just over £13,000.
Other specifications and features
- WorldPay Zinc supports MasterCard and Visa credit cards as well as Visa and Maestro debit cards, but does not take American Express and JCB as iZettle does.
- Compatible Apple products: iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPad (2nd, 3rd, 4th generation).
- Compatible Android devices: Android OS 2.3.x or 4.x, with GPS, and an MDPI resolution or greater. Minimum screen size 480px by 640px.
- The maximum transaction limit per card is £5,000.
- Allows payments by swiping the magnetic stripe and the customer has to sign the screen to authorize the transaction.
- Money is deposited in your account in 3-4 working business.
- Easy to get started, easy to use.
- Option to take payments by phone and email.
- 24/7 live telephone support.
- Slightly more expensive than SumUp for lower volume businesses.